I love Google Docs. It's the way to write and share documents today.
Is Google Docs already capable for...?
- Advanced scientific formatting
- Advanced headers and footers
- publishing as book, pdf, doc
- other stuff which is required for this type of document
- exporting to common file extensions (like doc) without breaking the format, so I can style the document after writing the content, due to gdocs limited styling features (I had a bad experience while working on a uni report with other students. In the exported doc-file all formating was lost. It still looked the same, but there were not "H1", "H2" annotations anymore. So word couldn't recognize headings anymore and couldn't style them.)
- image captions with counting numbers (to generate a caption directory later)
- image/text arrangement
SCIENTIFIC WRITING WITH GOOGLE DOCS from Gabriel Wurzer, Technical University of Vienna