I've recently come across an issue where some Japanese text on certain web pages won't render properly no matter what I do. I've tested many browsers, changed character encoding and even gone as far as changing the OS language and nothing fixes it. All the browser plugins are up-to-date and I've tried safe-mode in Firefox as well.
I've tried Firefox 3, Firefox 4 RC, IE 8, IE 9, Safari 5.0.4 on Windows 7, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat.
Interestingly enough though the page renders just fine in iOS 4.3's Safari.app on my 4G touch.
An example link of this problem is here: http://utaten.com/lyric/jb71008071