Web Applications Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for power users of web applications. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When playing a video on youtube, the light-red buffering progress no longer appears, though the rest of the UI works as usual. Buffering still happens, it just doesn't display its progress.

no buffering

I'm not sure if this is intentional by youtube or not, but in any case, how can I make it visible again?

I'm using Firefox on Windows 7, with flashblock, as a signed-in user. Trying the recommended solution by Google to generic youtube problems - which is emptying the browser cache - didn't help.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Try removing the cookies for Youtube

Hope this helps.

share|improve this answer

No repro for me.

Tested using FireFox (with Flashbox installed) and Chrome.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Good for you, but... this isn't an answer. – Oak May 6 '11 at 10:56
@Oak: I have posted this as an answer so that the image is displayed. How do you know that the buffering is happening/complete? If everything is working as you'd expect why do you even need/care about the buffering progress bar? I think this question is too localized in any case. – codingbadger May 6 '11 at 11:05
Well, (1) I already know how the buffer bar should look like - I think that's evident from the question, and (2) not everything is working as expected - the progress bar is missing, and despite the fact that buffering still works, this is a significant usability loss, at least in my eyes. I don't see anything which makes this question too localized. I appreciate the effort but "well, it doesn't happen to me" isn't an answer. – Oak May 6 '11 at 11:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.