I would like to find the best platform to share some videos according the following criterias, in descending degree of importance
- Access Control: public, private, or some users only (registered or by guest password)
- stream (quality controllable) + download (original and/or other formats) available, possibly depending on the user rights
- embedded revenue option (sell access to streaming or download, or pay for ads)
- cheap (or free)
- easy (I could build my own S3 based system, but maybe something exists already)
Size of videos goes from few megs to several hundred megs in high-def. They are self-produced (no copyright infringement). Usage is of course professional, or at least semi-professional (promotion and hopefully sales, but indy moneyless production!)
I have found a couple of loosely related questions, in particular this What is a good web app for sharing pictures and HD video? but also Web video sharing service with "fair use" protection? (the question looks different but answers are interesting!) but I'm stuck with a few of the limitations in the responses I've found.
And nothing about a service that allows you to 'sell' views or at least earn by ads.
So far in short (without any revenue model):
- yotube (am a bit scared of private control)
- vimeo (max 500megs and even paid account is 5gigs)
- dailymotion (max 150megsper file)
- smugmug (10min max)
- flickr (90sec limit unacceptable)
And none offers download of the original format.
Any better service that I do not know yet? Or which one would you pick among these ones?
I am ready to do some compromises... eg. I could try reducing video size by compression if every other requirement was satisfied..