I need a free web application in order to organize a local book library. I mean paper books, not e-books. We used YouTrack for that purpose before, but it doesn't fit our needs because:
- Free version allows only limited numbers of users to be registered.
- We had to dedicate a server in order to host the application.
- We had to think of backups and other technical stuff.
How the process was organized:
An issue in YouTrack represents a book. Issue creator is an owner of that book; anyone who takes a book from the library assigns that book/issue to herself. In description we put some book summary.
Physically, all books are stored on a bookshelf at work.
I hope you got the idea.
So, the requirements are:
- The application should be free.
- It should be web-based (like Google Docs).
- Number of user accounts should be not less than, say, 500.
- We want to restrict unregistered users from modifying any book.
- We want be able to comment/like each book.
Google Docs is an option of course, but it is not very convenient to track all the transitions of books between people. In case of YouTrack, you should only press "Assign to me" button - and that's it. In case of Google Docs, you should type in your name into appropriate column.
As I understand, almost any free hosted issue tracking application should fit our needs. But we don't want to manage monstrous app like Redmine with Gantt charts, SCM integration, etc. We want something really simple.
I hope I put my question clear.