Web Applications Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for power users of web applications. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Google News advanced search only lets me search news article by date from the last month.

Is there any similar site where I can search for news articles or trends by date for the last decade or so? I'm especially interested in times of early Iraq War (2003-2006).

share|improve this question

migrated from superuser.com Jul 27 '11 at 10:52

This question came from our site for computer enthusiasts and power users.

up vote 4 down vote accepted

When you search for "Iraq war" on News.google.com, you'll see "Archives" option on the left pane under "Any recent news".

Clicking on it will bring new options as follows:

enter image description here

You can either click on any year or click on "Custom Range..." to select a range. This is the result for your case:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Thanks, that's perfect. Now that you've shown me where it is, I don't know how I could have missed it. – taw Jul 27 '11 at 13:02
@taw: You're welcome. It's a pity that the germane option is not available in Advanced Search. – Mehper C. Palavuzlar Jul 27 '11 at 13:05
I asked on Google Forums (google.com/support/forum/p/news/… ), if it doesn't work I'll try poking my contacts within Google, maybe they'll add it. – taw Jul 27 '11 at 13:40
@taw: Good point. I hope they add it. – Mehper C. Palavuzlar Jul 27 '11 at 13:57

Use the 'daterange:[startdate]-[enddate]' operator

The only downside is that it uses the Julian date format.


searchterm daterange:2452000-2452435

A more detailed explanation of the 'daterange:' operator can be found @ cnet.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.