Web Applications Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for power users of web applications. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've noticed that pages where I have marked with +1 have "You +1'd this" in Google search results.

However, it doesn't seem to affect the order of results, or there may be very small differences I can't see or notice.

How do I get pages marked +1 on top of other search results?

I was thinking of using it like a "read it later" or similar service. Like when I mark web pages "read it later", but never read them. If +1 marked pages appear on top of search result, it may be the time to read them.

share|improve this question

migrated from superuser.com Oct 14 '11 at 4:16

This question came from our site for computer enthusiasts and power users.

up vote 4 down vote accepted

According to this WIRED article, +1 Google is investigating wether to consider it as a signal in future updates of the search engine.

Google confirmed its plans in an e-mail to Wired.com.

“Google will study the clicks on +1 buttons as a signal that influences the ranking and appearance of websites in search results,” a spokesman wrote. “The purpose of any ranking signal is to improve overall search quality. For +1’s and other social ranking signals, as with any new ranking signal, we’ll be starting carefully and learning how those signals are related to quality.”

So, for now at list, the pages you are +1-ing will not change ranking.

share|improve this answer
Thanks Alex, I think Google will give us the "you +1'd" search tool in near feature at least. – hiroshi Oct 15 '11 at 12:04
A friend of mine mentioned that Evernote extension does same kind of thing what I want if you clip a page. – hiroshi Oct 15 '11 at 13:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.