I'm new at a University. I'm not a technology fanatic, but I'm a bit taken aback how little the possibilities of the Internet are used to help students connect. I mean, there's a document download platform and all that, but little more. Announcements are still sent via E-Mail using CC; there is no way to stay in touch with fellow students except actively friending them on Facebook, which many may not want.
Does anybody have an idea of a web app - either hosted or self-hosted - that could help make this work better?
It would have to provide
- Forums or a similar, simple means to ask questions
- Opt-in E-Mail notifications for any event in the group
- Extremely minimalistic and easy to use
- Document downloads
- Optionally, a Wiki or some other way to organize knowledge
- Ideally, the possibility to manage multiple groups at once
- Closed from the outside world (log-in mandatory)
- The possibility to send announcements to all users
- The possibility for students to start new groups (if the Professor doesn't want to get involved)
It should be independent from other online services (solutions that need a Google or Facebook account would be out).