Take the 2-minute tour ×
Web Applications Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for power users of web applications. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've noticed this awkward scenario with Ancestry.com

Picture of Ancestry.com tree

Obviously Lewis Caplan and Louis Caplan are the same people. How do I merge them?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I am sorry to say so but as of now, there is no such option available in Anchestry.com. Also, having no API, you cannot add the option yourself.

The only way out here is to do it manually.

share|improve this answer

You can do that by following the instructions provided here. Basically:

  1. Select one of the duplicate people in your tree
    Go to the person’s overview or profile page and from the “More options” menu, select “Merge with duplicate.”
  2. Select the other duplicate person
    On the left side of the page, you’ll see the person you’ve already selected. On the right side of the page, you can select the person’s duplicate in a few ways.
    • Select a possible duplicate. We’ll suggest people who might be duplicates (for example if they have the same first and last names and their birth years and birthplaces are similar).
    • Type the person’s name. If you know the duplicate’s name, simply type it in the field and select the person from a list of individuals who match the name you’ve typed.
    • Select from a list of people. You can browse a list of everyone in your tree and select the correct individual.
  3. Select the facts you want to display
    After you’ve chosen the duplicate individuals, they’ll be displayed side-by-side so you can compare the two and choose which facts you want to display for the merged individual.
    • If facts are identical. A same label shows which facts are the same; they’ll be merged into one fact.
    • If facts are different. Both facts will be included in the merge, but you can choose which fact is preferred (the default fact that displays). The other fact will be added as an alternate.
    • If you’re not sure what to do. You can click the Compare button to see more details about the two individuals.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.