My specific situation: I have a private blog that I would like to record my musings to in audio form. I'm looking for a good solution for hosting the audio recordings and embedding them in my blog. My research has led me to believe that YouTube would be the best despite the fact that it is meant for video.
What I've tried: Everything online says that you just change the height of the embed code to be 25, but I think this is a hack and would like to avoid it if I can.
In case you're interested: Here are the things I've looked at and why I don't think they are suitable solutions for my problem:
- Dropbox: Workable, but if I ever want to change the location of the files in my dropbox then the links would all break (I presume). This is my current solution. I'm just using the
<audio>tag which works great for me.
- Google Drive: Doesn't have any streaming capabilities I'm aware of.
- SoundCloud: Limit of 2 hours for free version and there's no way to make a clip "unlisted" so my blog can access it but the world can't.
- Last.fm: Just wont work...
I'm open to other solutions, but this seems to be the best one. My criteria are:
- Free and basically unlimited
- Permanent links (this is why Dropbox is not a great solution)
- Access only to those with a link, not searchable to the general public
Reiterating my question: Remember, I've done my research, so my question isn't which service I should use, but rather if there's a way to embed only audio from a YouTube clip. But I'm happy to accept alternatives. I just don't want to break the rules of the site :) Thanks!