I'm kicking the tires on some of the net's identification management websites. Let me clarify this ambiguous term...(and please let me know if there's a better name for sites like these)
A site which compiles a list of your other online personalities and profiles and provides some helpful functionality to make working with all of those profiles a little easier.
Clearly, this encompasses a large list of sites but to be perfectly honest, I don't feel anyone has really nailed this down in any really nice way. I'm mostly interested in services which make it EASY to use all of these different channels of communication we have available to us.
Sites I'm looking for are similar to these (with special attention to my notes):
- http://flavors.me (Nice interface, pulls resource data into one screen.)
- http://card.ly (Painfully basic and ends up being yet another online profile to manage)
- http://google.com/profiles (Steps beyond an online profile and provides a nice way to interact with the person, but keeps you in Google's walled garden.)
Features I'm interested in seeing (but doesn't need to hit ALL of these points):
- Makes communicating across services easy
- Organizes your various online profiles
- Makes specific personas and profiles conditionally available
- Provides proxy services to better manage privacy
- Supports open architectures/services (OAuth, OpenID, etc)
- Friendly and fun to use?
I'm really hoping some people will dig up services which I'm not familiar with and could suggest some other features which might be useful in such a service which I might have overlooked.