I'm currently looking for an online backup solution for my home computer, and since there are so many alternatives nowadays, I decided to share my doubts here.
What do I need to backup?
- Photos (more than 100Gb)
- Music (more than 20Gb)
- Movies (just have a few movies from family occasions, but it's growing in size)
- Address book, bookmarks, documents (small files)
The larger files (photos, music and movies) are all stored in an external hard-drive, which is usually disconnected unless I need the files.
What would I like to see in the service?
- I want the ability to control/schedule my backups. Don't want the server to mark my files as delete just because my HDD is disconnected;
- I want a simple interface, and must be compatible with Mac OSX;
- Reliable and secure company;
- Unlimited storage.
I have been trying Mozy, but so far I wasn't able to backup the contents of my external hard-drive, and I can't understand why.
I also considered Amazon S3, but I don't know how is the tooling for that.
What is your experience?