This ability has been removed from the new version of Google Docs. As of now, you're able to tell Google to use the old version, but this comes with trade-offs, and only affects new documents.
In the Editing tab of your settings, see the following option:
Here are some of the most interesting features of the new version of Google documents:
- Real time collaboration: See updates from other collaborators as they edit the document.
- Higher-quality imports: More consistent imports from your desktop into Google Docs.
- Chat with other collaborators: As you make your edits, you can chat with other document editors about the changes, from within the document.
- Ruler: Google documents have a ruler for setting margins, indentations, and tab stops.
What else is different?
You'll probably notice that some features from the older version of Google documents aren't available yet. Don't worry: we'll be adding a lot of them soon.
These features from the previous version of Google documents, however, won't be available in the new version:
- Offline document access via Google Gears
- Edit HTML
- Edit CSS