I am looking for remove my profile picture and keep default Google account profile picture.
To remove/disassociate the photo on your Google Account Profile:
when you are signed into a Google service and click your avatar/photo in a Google service, click the Google + Profile link from the dropdown menu that appears.
Then click the "Edit Profile" button that appears.
On the "About Me" page that opens, click the edit icon at the right of the banner.
The solution in 2019
- Open the link https://aboutme.google.com/
- Click on the picture
- Click "No Photo" button
It will take up to 24 hours to get the picture removed from all Google products.
The method mentioned by Anson W Han seems to no longer work as the button has disappeared. But the following method worked for me:
- Go to https://get.google.com/albumarchive/ to find all your albums stored on Google.
- Go into the album called "Profile Photos"
- Delete the profile photo that is currently in effect, or perhaps all of them (you may need to click on the photo and focus on it before you can find the delete option).
- Your profile will now be displayed with just a character, as is the default.