I'm working with exported data that I've pulled into Google Sheets. I have a column with URLs and a corresponding column with text labels. I can combine the two into a hyperlinked cell using a forumla:
=HYPERLINK(A1, B1) where A1 and B1 are cells containing the URL and text label respectively.
Now, I want to copy over the hyperlinked cell into another spreadsheet.
Is there a way to do this that preserves the hyperlink but doesn't reference the original cells?
- Let's say A1 = "https://google.com"
- and B1 = "Google"
- I set up a formula:
=HYPERLINK(A1,B1)which produces a hyperlinked cell showing "Google"
- I copy this cell and paste it in a different spreadsheet
- Desired Outcome: the destination cell should be
=HYPERLINK("https://google.com", "Google")which produces a hyperlinked cell showing "Google"
Here's what I've tried so far:
- Simply copying & pasting the cell updates the cell references based on my destination cell
- Pasting value only just retains the text label but loses the hyperlink
- The various other "Paste Special" options don't seem to apply (but I tried them out anyway for good measure)
- Updating the original formula to use $ references (e.g.
=HYPERLINK($A$1, $B$1)) allows me to copy and paste the cell correctly within the same sheet. But this fails if I try to copy and paste the cell to a different spreadsheet.
For reference, here's a test spreadsheet where I set up this problem.