Does this only work on specific OSes?
you are probably seeking a method which will allow you to copy a cell(s) containing a comment(s) and paste such cell(s) in a way to keep those comments. unfortunately, such a method doesn't exist.
the only way to copy comments from a given sheet is to make a global copy of such sheet:
- go to File
- select Make a copy...
- choose Copy comments
From Create, view, or save a file (pay attention to step 4)
Make a copy of a file
- On your computer, open a Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, or Forms home screen. Open the file you want to make a copy of.
- In the menu, click File and then Make a copy.
- Type a name and choose where to save it.
- If you want to copy comments from a document, spreadsheet, or presentation, click Copy comments and suggestions or Copy comments.
- Click Ok.
The Android/ iOS apps doesn't include the option to Copy comments and suggestions / Copy comments
As it stands you can't even paste with comments within the same sheet. However, within the same sheet you can, with a little ingenuity, move a section of cells around without losing the comments. The Insert-Cells/Shift and Delete-Cells/Shift options (available by right clicking on a cell or some selected cells) can be used to move a set of cells around on a sheet with the comments intact.
Not the solution to the original problem, but I got here when I searched for the solution to this problem (which I then solved myself), so I figured someone else might too.
I also went to this page to get some answers. After seeing that there is no instant way to do it, this is what I did
- Download Google sheet files as Excel (the comments will be included in the download)
- Make one consolidated Excel file for the worksheets that you want to consolidate (right-click the Tab, Move or Copy (select your new consolidated file)
- Upload the file to Google Drive
- Open file as Google Sheet
- File>Save as Google Sheet