I don’t want anyone to either see my friends list or to be notified of who I become friend with. I only want those two pieces of information limited to me. How can I do this?
You can prevent people from viewing your Friend List by following these steps:
- Go to Account → Privacy Settings
- In the Connecting on Facebook section click View Settings
- On the See your Friend List click the box to the right hand side and select Customize
- In the drop down box next to These people select Only Me
- Click Save Setting
I don't think it is possible to prevent the notification being posted to your wall though.
To hide your friends list under Timeline:
- Go to you Timeline
- Click on your friends list in the upper box
- In the friends list window, click on Edit in the upper-right side
- In the drop-down menu, click on the icon in the upper-right corner
- In the menu that appears, choose Only Me