- I created a new YouTube "brand" channel.
- I moved my library of YouTube content to this new "brand" channel.
- I created a new YouTube/Google account, using a new, non-Gmail email, new name, new everything.
- I made the new YouTube account the new "brand" channel owner.
- I removed the old YouTube account as an owner of the new "brand" channel.
- I deleted the old YouTube account.
- I waited a week. I still couldn't change or delete the old URL from this new "brand" channel.
- I moved my library of YouTube content to a new "user" channel for the new YouTube user account.
- I deleted the YouTube "brand" channel.
- I waited a week. I still can't change the new "user" channel's URL.
Whenever I visit "Advanced YouTube Settings" (https://www.youtube.com/account_advanced), it says:
"You're eligible for a custom URL. Claim it here."
When I click there, it says:
Get a custom URL
Here's how you'll look on YouTube:
youtube.com/c/OLDNAMEHERE / add a few characters
Many people have the same name. Add a few extra letters or numbers to make this URL unique to you.
No one on YouTube has this "same name". And I want to remove it anyway.
The relevant support article (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2657968) says:
…you can remove the custom URL from your channel and claim a new one if you want to change it. Note that once you remove a custom URL it may become free to be claimed by another creator. … You can remove a custom URL from your channel up to 3 times per year. This deactivates the URL so that it no longer directs viewers to your channel.
This is what I want. But the instructions there say:
Sign in to YouTube and go to your 'About me' page.
Select the account with your YouTube channel in the top right. You may have to click All of your Brand Accounts if your account is not in the list.
Find your current custom URL under "Sites" and click edit.
There is no "Sites" text on that page.
What am I missing?
Now, nine days later, if I click "You're eligible for a custom URL. Claim it here.", I'm shown:
Get a custom URL
Select an option to see how you'll look on YouTube:
[RADIO BUTTON] [CURRENTNAME] and a suffix of your choosing
[RADIO BUTTON] [OLDNAME] and a suffix of your choosing
I leave the radio button on the new name, I tick the checkbox, and I click "Change URL". The next dialog says:
Confirm custom URL
Are you sure you want to change your public URL to:
Once you confirm this custom URL, you can't change it again or transfer the URL to someone else. / CANCEL / CONFIRM CHOICE
There is no text input after the
/c/, no way to add a suffix. I click "Confirm Choice", and the dialog spins a quick gif then disappears, leaving me back at the "Advanced Settings" page, which nothing changed. The console shows a 400 status code.