I am trying to set up parental controls for my child's chromebook (Acer R11).
I was a member of a Google Family managed by my brother. So, before starting this process, I removed myself from his family and created a Google Family for my own family. I invited my child to my new Google Family and my child accepted that invitation.
My child already has a Google account, so I am following these instructions: Add supervision to an existing Google Account
Since my child doesn't have an Android device, I need to follow a special process to "add supervision online":
Note: If you want to turn on supervision for your child's Chromebook and your child doesn't have an Android device, you can add supervision online.
I followed these steps to add supervision to my child's account:
- While logged onto the Chromebook as my child, I followed the link to add supervision online
- Clicked "Get Started" on the first step
- Logged in using my child's Google account (same account used for the Chromebook login)
- Clicked "Next" on the "What parents can see and do" step
- Clicked "Next" on the "How supervision works on your devices" step
- The next step states that my child is already in my family group and that my google account will supervise their account. Clicked "Continue".
- Clicked "Allow" on the "Allow supervision?" step
- The final step states that "Your parent will get an email with instructions on how to finish setting up supervision for your Google Account". Clicked "Close".
I followed these steps to finish the set up:
- Opened my email on my Macbook
- Clicked on the "SET UP SUPERVISION" link in the email
- Clicked "Next" on the "Set up supervision for your child's account" step
- Logged in using my Google account credentials
At this point I received the following error message:
Couldn’t set up supervision You need to start a family group to set up supervision for (child's name), but you've already been in 2 family groups. You can only switch family groups once every 12 months.
This error message seems to be claiming that I haven't started a family group and that I can't start a family group because I have already switched family groups once in the last 12 months.
However, I have already started a family group and all previous steps appear to recognize this fact.
I have not been able to find any information about this error. Any help would be much appreciated.