If you go to someone's profile page and add them as a friend, while it's still pending, is there a way to add them to a list? Or do you have to wait for them to actually accept your friend request so that you can, for example, restrict them from viewing certain posts of yours?
This seems to keep changing. At the moment I can't see how to do it except for on the mobile web site (not the app) as mentioned by francisaugusto, but the sequence is different.
This works fine from the desktop as long as you use the mobile site (prefix with an "m." instead of "www.").
- Go to https://m.facebook.com/
- Tap the icon, top left, that is of two people's head and shoulders
- To the right of "Friend Requests" there's a drop-down arrow, tap that
- In the menu that opens, tap "View sent requests"
- Currently that brings you here: https://m.facebook.com/friends/center/requests/outgoing/
- Tap the photo of the person you want to add to lists
- Tap the blue button "Requested"
- NOTE! The button is "Cancel Request" on the desktop site
- CLICK IT ANYWAY IT WON't CANCEL IT!
- Tap "Edit Friend List" and add to the required lists
On the left side of your main news feed, select 'Friend Lists' (you may need to 'see more' first).
Select the list you want to edit/to which you want to add the individual to whom you sent the friend request.
Upper right corner, click 'Manage List' and select 'Edit List.'
Left side of the window that pops up, change 'on this list' to 'following.'
You can search by the individual's name. Then just click the photo to select them, then click 'finish.'