Google Docs is not accepting pasted Tabs as actual tab characters (ASCII character #9). It turns them into a number of spaces. Usually four, but not always.
I'm on MacOS 11.5.1, with Firefox 90.0.2. Happy to try Safari or Chrome if you get it to work there.
Things I have tried that do not work:
- Tools menu --> Preferences.
- Write text in text editor (e.g. Atom, BBEdit) with "auto-expand tabs" turned off. Copy, paste in with Command-V.
- Same but with Command-Shift-V.
- Turn on "Match with regular expressions" in Docs. Find-and-replace four spaces with \t
- Copy the space created by typing a Tab into Google Docs (mid-word so that it's not just moving the tab stops). Find-and-replace four spaces with that.
- Create text in a few cells of Excel. Paste them in with Command-V or Command-Shift-V, hoping that the cells turn into tabs.
- Same but with Google Sheets.
- Type "a Tab b Tab c" in Word and paste that in. (Actually creates six spaces and a tab with Command-V 🤷♂️, and the usual 4 spaces with Shift added in.)
- Setting an automatic substitution for replacing four spaces with a pasted-in tab or with \t.
- Googling it.
Can anyone get this to work?