When I'm in a Google Drive folder, what's the easiest way to display "recent files", and move selected files from the "recent" list to that current folder?
I'm looking for either...
- A way to display the recent files list on demand, without leaving my current folder, so that I can drag-drop files from the recent list into my current folder.
- A right-click menu option in my folder, with a Move recent file here option, that expands to show the most recent 6 or so files. Choosing one moves it to the current folder.
- Some kind of sidebar widget or add-on that allows me to do the above.
Why would I need this?
Well, a number of programs I use ( I'm looking at you, LucidChart ) create new files in Google Drive in very inconvenient places. Even if am in my desired folder, and right-click-create the document in that folder, some apps ignore that entirely, and create the file somewhere else if their own choosing.
The problem is, I need the file in the folder I requested it to be created in, which is buried deep, deep in some subterranean folder hierarchy of projects or clients.
Other things I've tried...
- If I go to the root of my drive where the "Recent files" list normally appears, I can no longer see my folder to drag it into.
- Expanding the left-side folder tree nav would take ages to pick through to find the right folder, if I could find it at all. Some folders contain thousands of other folders.
- Right-clicking on the "Recent file", and choosing "Move" displays the Move file widget, which doesn't allow me to search for folder names, so it's the same problem as the left-side folder nav, but in an even smaller space.
- Opening two browser windows, one with my folder, and one with recent files, and drag-dropping the file across. Yeah I knew that wouldn't work, but I'm desperate.
There must be something obvious I'm missing, like a hotkey or an option setting, or an add-on, but I've had no luck finding the solution.