I have a sheet with 14*40000 cells that is giving me consistent hangs during some operations. I've been trimming it down and exporting just the one tab to a new sheet (works fine), and it sometimes hangs calculating formulas (Waiting...) in the top right), and then I can reproduce the problem below by simply duplicating the sheet.
I have also reproduced this with a new doc with one sheet of 20x45000 cells, all of the letter "x". See images of this.
Duplicating the tab gives me a persistent the Saving in the header, eventually it eventually just gives me:
"Saving your changes is taking longer than usual. Editing is temporarily disabled."
- no formulas
- no formatting
- no apps scripts
- no workspace addons relevant to sheets (disabled an Airtable add-on for good measure)
- disabled any browser extensions
- made sure values are pretty scalar
- no sign of automatic link detection or whatever
- checked in Brave/Chrome/Firefox
- checked Google Docs service static (all greenticks)
- Drive sync not running
- Tested with another user in the Workspace
- No one else in the workbook
- Replicated this in another workspace account.
So I'm wondering what is my next step - a Google Workspace Helpdesk ticket? Since I replicated this in another Workspace account, this surely must be a general upstream issue.