I'm looking for an easy way to thumbs-up/favorite any websites which I've found browsing the web (not using StumbleUpon). I want it among my other StumbleUpon favourites (to customize my future stumbles).
Current possibilities we have
- Grab this browser extension (for Chrome)
- Advantage: can be used to load up the SU toolbar on any page thus allowing me to fav.
- Disadvantage: Unnecessarily overhead: it loads itself to Every single tab I open from the point I enable the toolbar. Slows down every page load and takes up precious memory (haven't profiled it though). Cumbersome to enable and disable it every time.
- Use this url as a bookmark (I use this option currently)
- Advantage: Isn't a resource hog in any way, very lightweight for what it does.
- Disadvantage: Have to go through a number of steps (Copy current url, open new tab, click bookmark, click in textbox, CTRL+A to select all, paste, click submit, click 'I like it', close tab) That is as much as 9 steps! Which are the same for every site I need to use it with, and those steps could be easily automated.
Solution I'm looking for
A simple and clean JS bookmarklet, which is capable of the following:
- Can be clicked on any site.
- Does it's job in the background (doesn't distract on top of what is pointed out next)
- Notifies whether my action worked (the url is submitted and is now among my other favorites)
- Notifies of failure either due to network problem, or that the user is not logged in, etc...
- If the url is yet to be added to SU's database, open a new tab and take me to the appropriate page so that I can add it myself.
It is not a big problem if there are bookmarklets which do only a subset of what I outlined as I think I would be able to modify it more tailored to my needs.