Is there a way from the iphone to get to maps that I've saved in google maps at the regular site?
“My Maps” are now available on the mobile version of Google maps.
- In Safari on your iPhone go to maps.google.com.
- Click on the top right icon on the toolbar (a circle with a small triangle pointing down).
- Click on “My Maps”
I have to say that the interface didn't respond very well for me when I tried, it was nearly impossible to properly zoom in to some points of interest. But well, at least it's there and hopefully will get better over time.
- In safari go to maps.google.com
- Tap the bottom left icon on the map (it looks like a list).
An alternative to this step is to scroll down on the page before the map has fully loaded.
- Click classic on the bottom of the page.
- You are now in the desktop version of the site. The map will still allow you to pan and zoom using the normal gestures, the only problem is panning and zooming on the page itself is very difficult.
- Click sign in on the top right of the page if you aren't already signed in.
- Click on My Maps on the top left.
As I mentioned earlier, panning and zooming on the white part of the page is very difficult. For me it only works 25% of the time. Here are some tips you can try:
- When using a multi-finger gesture such as zoom, make sure both fingers touch the screen at the same time.
- Make sure the gesture is performed on the white area of the page (not on the map). Gesture perfomed on the map will pan or zoom only the map portion.
- Panning doesn't work. The only way to successfully pan is to use zooming and move the zoomed content.
- Make sure the fingers are far enough apart to be recognized as two fingers and not one large one.
There are other options:
You can try using my service: http://my-maps.appspot.com/. It will open your "my maps" on the native Maps application.
There are also a couple of native applications on the app store.