If I send a friend request to someone, and after quite some time they haven't accepted, how do I cancel the friend request?
You can go to their profile and cancel the friend request.
Or else, you can use this Google-Crome Extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/elioihkkcdgakfbahdoddophfngopipi to see the list of people who haven't accepted your friend request yet.
After some clicking around I found another way, which wasn't very intuitive:
- Click on Account -> Edit Friends.
- Make sure 'All Connections' is highlighted on the left.
- Search for the person you wish to cancel the friend request with. He/she should appear in the results with Friend Request Pending under his/her name.
- Click on the X to remove this friend request. When hovering the mouse above the X, it should have a tooltip of: Remove Request
- A popup should come up to confirm removing the request. Click Confirm.
There are two ways to accomplish this.
- Click Account in the upper right.
- Click Privacy.
- Click Edit your lists in the Block People section at the bottom.
- Enter in a name (partial is ok) and click Block User.
- Facebook will bring up a dialog with matches to your search. Click Block for the appropriate user.
- This will remove the the friend request from the system. If you wish, you can then unblock the user if you want them to be able to search for you and view your profile according to your privacy settings.
Click Account in the upper right.
Click Edit Friends
Select All Friends from the filter
Click the X next to the appropriate user to remove the connection.
Notes (for both methods):
If the user in question is online or receives notifications of friend requests, there's nothing you can do about them seeing the request. If you remove/block them immediately perhaps you can get that done before a notification is sent. But I wouldn't count on that.
Go to Account (top right) -> Edit Friends (or http://www.facebook.com/friends)
Then, on the left side, choose to see All Conections. In that list you'll also see the person you accidentally invited, and remove the friend request.