I am looking for alternatives to Twitter. In particular, the annoyances I am looking to fix are:
- Twitter does conversations really poorly. The replies aren't grouped with the messages they are replies to.
- Twitter limits how many characters can be used
- Twitter is not designed to help deal with noise (see the next two bullet points). Google Buzz claims to use algorithms to sort out what is most relevant, but I don't have enough friends posting content to verify this claim
- Twitter has tags, but they aren't used for filtering
- Twitter isn't designed to make it easy for someone to publish into multiple lists, which might help reduce some of the noise problem
I know that some of the Twitter clients probably deal with some of these issue, but features tend to work better when they are part of the main site, rather than just bolted on.
EDIT: It has been commented that Twitter isn't designed for conversations, but to let you see what somebody is thinking. That makes sense and I suppose it does this well and explains why it is so poor for conversations.