I need your help to download the whole- complete conversation with my friend in Facebook. The way I can do that is to scroll (∞) and copy, but that will take more than an hour or a day. Is there any better way to do that?
You could either use THIS FIREFOX Extension OR You can download all of your facebook data via facebook itself!
Here's a quote from the facebook help button>search: "download" How can I download my information on Facebook.
You can download your information from the Account Settings page.
- Click at the top right of any Facebook page and select Account Settings
- Click General in the left-hand column
- Click on "Download a copy of your Facebook data"
Click Start My Archive
Because this download contains your timeline information, you should keep it secure and be careful when storing, sending or uploading it to any other services. Learn more about what info is included in your download. If you don't have a Facebook account, you can request the removal of your data.
When I download my infomation from facebook, what is included in the file?
When you download your information your file will include:
- Your timeline information (ex: your contact information, interests, groups)
- Content that you and your friends have posted to your timeline
- Photos and videos that you have uploaded to your account
- Your friend list
- Notes you have created
- Events to which you have RSVP’d
- Your sent and received messages
- Any comments that you and your friends have made on your timeline posts, photos, and other timeline content
- Note that we store different types of data for different time periods, so we may not have all of your data since you joined Facebook.
- Learn more about the different ways to access your Facebook info.
Hope this helps. The downloading of your content from facebook might take some time, but it's a one click way to download it, and not loads of scrolling on the chat page...
EDIT: Also, in Chrome, you can do this (just checked and is this method is functioning properly):
In Google Chrome, open your chat/message of your conversation with your Friend and
- right click on the conversation > Inspect Element.
Look for the following DIV code in the html source of the page:
ul class="uiList -cx-PRIVATE-webMessengerReadView__messagelist -cx-PRIVATE-uiList__vert" id="webMessengerRecentMessages" role="log"
When found, right click on it > Copy as HTML.
- Save this html code copied in your clipboard, to a blank html document.
- That's it, you can print edit or do anything with your copied chat conversation..!
- Go to settings (eg click on the globe at the top right of your FB
home screen and then on the right-hand item
Settingsat the top of the dropdown):
- Click on
Generalat the top left (gears icon):
- Click on “Download a copy of your Facebook data.” (below “General Account Settings”).
- Click on “Start My Archive” ("Download Archive" if you have done this before.)
- Re-enter your password and click “Submit”.
As this could take a while (in my case only seconds) you will receive an e-mail when the download is ready:
The download is a .zip file containing several folders and in folder html there is a file
I found this Python script to work perfectly to scrape the contents of just one conversation. It saves it as a .json file though, so you'd have to write something to parse it properly (or just view the plain text).
You can use a browser extension called Messages Saver for Facebook. Download and install it from here Messages Saver for Facebook
It can save your chats in various formats:
- plain text
- HTML with all the media in a chat
- CSV file for easy export to Excel
- ZIP archive, then all the media of a chat are saved locally to your computer, which makes your chat virtually independent from Facebook servers.
Hope that helps.