Is there an official way to disable the Google Instant Previews feature?
There isn't a way to permanently disable the feature at present but for now it isn't working in encrypted Google (https://www.google.com) so can be avoided.
- Download Greasemonkey, install and restart browser
- Snag the necessary script from here
- Install the script then do a Google search
- Click the Disable Instant Previews link in the top right
No need to install Greasemonkey as Chrome supports scripts natively
- Grab the same script as the Firefox users from here
- Click “Continue” when you see the security warning
- Do a Google search, then Disable Instant Previews with the top right link
Hope this helps.
FF users don’t need any add-ons or scripts to disable this.
Nor do they need to change their homepage.
In FF you can disable instant search and instant previews by modifying the about:config file.
Simple and it worked for me with no (as yet) apparent problems.