See the attached image below, which shows that a side-note is added so that the normal text of the document "floats around it":

  1. How is that technique called - Is there a name for it?
  2. And how can I accomplish that in Google Docs?

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


It is called text wrap and you can do it in Google Docs for example like this:


If you want to do it with text box instead of an image add Drawing (Insert > Drawing...)



  • The option to align drawings and wrap text is not currently available for "Pageless" documents. I had to "Switch to Pages format" for this to work.
    – Wallace
    Commented Jun 27 at 15:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.